How AcuRite 02020 Portable Lightning Detector Works?

Advertisement

As the name states, "AcuRite 02020" is a portable device that allows you to detect the presence of lightning around your surroundings. It is actually the perfect gadget when going for an outdoor activities such as treasure hunting, playing golf ball, swimming on the beach and etc...

We won't be discussing here about AcuRite's electronic design as they can be very complicated to understand especially those who does not have any knowledge on this field. But for those Electronic Enthusiasts, I do suggest that you should contact the manufacturers.

So how does the AcuRite 02020 work as a useful device?

As we have already discussed on the previous post, there are several and different types of lightning that occurs. The most common type of lightning that is often observed by many is the "cloud-to-ground". Since cloud-to-ground type of lightning possess the threat to anyone on the ground, AcuRite 02020 has been designed to detect its possible occurrences. In short, it gives an early warning if a lightning is about to occur nearby.

This device can detect a circular-coverage of up to 25 miles range. Once it has detected the presence of lightning around its coverage area, an audible alarm will warn the user. In addition to the audible alarm is a flashing red light located at the top of its screen.

On the screen of AcuRite 02020, the analysis of this device are shown displaying the total number of lightning that it is able to detect. And the most interesting feature about this gadget is that, it has the capability to make an estimate of the distance of lightning that is about to occur.

Is the Lighting Detection of AcuRite 02020 Accurate?


One of my favorite outdoor activity is treasure hunting. I actually own a couple of metal detectors because I find searching old buried coins under the ground a quite interesting hobby. And in order to find something that is worth value, you really have to search them on places such as on abandoned residential areas, parks and beaches.

Treasure Hunter

Sometimes, thunderstorm do surprises us while we are out in the field. I have already an experience seeing a lightning strike at very close distance. Thank God that me and my friends never got hit.

Due to the danger, I am happy that I came across this AcuRite 02020 device on my searches here on the internet. I immediately purchased one from the Amazon and when it got delivered, me and my friends went out for a test.

This gadget is pocket-size and portable which allows me to carry it "always" along with me without any problem. I only check on it when its alarm sends out a warning sound.

According to the manufacturer, it is "Water Resistant" which means that it won't get damaged even when submerge underwater. But, I'm pretty sure that there's a limit into this feature.

When me and my fellow treasure hunters still don't have an AcuRite 02020 in our past activities, the moment that we hear thunder or a flash of lightning above the sky, we immediately vacate and leave the area. But there were times that upon leaving the area, the weather goes back to normal. Such occurrences is called "fake-lighting" and it is really causes us so much trouble in our activity.

The AcuRite 02020 is really a very reliable gadget for us because it can detect false lightning due to its enhanced "interference rejection" capabilities. With this very reliable feature of the device, we are sure when it's the right time to leave the area or not.

Overall, the AcuRite 02020 Portable Lightning Detector is a "must have" gadget for people who spends most of their time at the outside environment.